Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

I went to Krogers the other day with the intentions of buying everything I needed to make Stuffed Green Peppers, which is my favorite comfort food. However, when I saw the price of green peppers and started figuring how much it would cost to make enough of these little buggars to feed my family of 7 (yes, I said SEVEN), I relized this meal was deifinately not in my budget. So, I went home pouting and angry and settled for homemade mac and cheese. That evening, after the children (including the husband), were all nestled and snug in their bed's, I hit the computer and Googled "Stuffed Peppers" with the hope of finding a less expensive way to prepare them. Well lookie at what I found! Stuffed Green Pepper Soup! Half the cost, half the time, and ALL the flavor. But I still had to make mashed potatoes...I have wierd kid's. =) *Note: This recipe is doubled because the kid's eat last night's leftovers for after school "snacks" today...my bad. I can never get dinner on the table before 7:00.
Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
2# ground beef
1 lg. onion chopped
5 green peppers chopped

Brown the above ingredients and drain well. Now add:

6 cans tomato soup and 5 soup cans of water
1 can of beef broth and 1 broth can of water
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 small cans of tomato sauce
3/4 c. uncooked white rice

Simmer on low until the rice is cooked. If the soup is too thick for your taste, add another cup of water. I also added a couple good shakes of Worcestershire sauce, and some garlic powder.

No comments: